Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Power of the Pen

Received this email from David, a grad from a year and a half ago.  Thought I would share it as he really articulates how important good note taking is - even years later!



Hi Ben,

I was doing a little clean up of my office last week and came upon all of the 'stuff' from PTP Spring 2011. Naturally, I started to flip through various things - photos, keepsakes etc.; but as I began to reread the classroom notes I had taken, I rediscovered a veritable treasure chest of information. Having been in the dog business now for about 16 months, those old classroom notes almost started to speak. What had been frantically written down every afternoon now made so much more sense. There were some important things that I had either forgotten or let slide. (I'll have to blame that short-term memory loss on having grown up during the 60s and early 70s). I can't tell you how beneficial it was to reread the classroom material from a working perspective. I think that a review of the classroom material confirms the importance of some of the basic methods that were taught. I think this review also helped me to understand some of the changes or modifications that I have made in my training methods. Either way, rereading your classroom notes 10 to 12 months later is a great experience....a should do for everyone.

Hope all is well. Please send my best to everyone.

Cheers,

David Dussault
dpdussault@sympatico.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment